Hi! Since I’ve mostly been waking up drinking coffee than getting in my bikini & making cocktails and sunbathing in my backyard with my roommate I haven’t needed the most elaborate makeup routine. I’m of the “i need to put my face on” camp so most days I do do a little something. This look is super glowy fresh faced and youthful. I like it cause it makes me look well rested and perky. This is a little time lapse of me doing my glowy no makeup makeup look:
Hi! I saw one too many Instagram posts/tweets/blog posts about taking this time of social distancing to better yourself and do the things you always want to do but never have time to. So now I’ve made a commitment to myself to write a little annoying something about how I putter around my house every day I’m in self-quarantine. Read at your own risk of me boring you to sleep. Which might not be a bad idea cause if you see this you probably have time for a nap.
As someone who has three jobs extended time home has always been a dream and a fantasy for me. When I’m walking up the hill to my train stop carrying a heavy bag of cleaning supplies before the sun rises I have often fantasized about what it would feel like to go to sleep and not set an alarm for the next day. I’ve daydreamed about drinking an indulgent, carefully made coffee on my porch of the first home I’ve ever had my name on the lease to and leisurely typing out a blog post. I never thought I would have this empty time to do all those aspirational things. All those daydreams seem like hobbies that belong to a different, imaginary version of me. A me who is more carefree and less haggard.
So looking at this free time and what I should do with it is kind of overwhelming. And also feels like a blessing. It’s a horrible time for the world and my city and comes with a full list of new and unique anxieties and problems. And what is the easiest ways to ignore your worries and problems with a worldwide pandemic? Why drinking of course!! But I waited until lunch to start on that :))
Morning: I woke up to a text from the client whose house I was supposed to clean this morning saying that she just heard from her building that they are not allowing nonessential people into the building. At that moment this was a lovely text to receive, I’m not a morning person and I got to roll over and go back to bed. This text would come back to haunt me for the rest of the day with the realization that I am now out of work and that it no longer possible for me to leave the house to go clean apts.
I then work up for real this time to my roommate running into my room because she had seen a mouse as she went to make her coffee. We were angry to now have a third roommate who was not contributing any rent money and terrorizing our kitchen and terrorizing us before we have had our coffee. The disrespect. We name her Mama and imagine she’s a single mom and joke that she’s our little friend. We joke about our 3rd roommate coming back from her home state to find out her roommates have replaced her with a little mouse who we’ve given her room. Quarantine does crazy things to the mind I tell you.
I broke my fast during lunch with a homemade bloody mary. That was not my smartest life choice because three of the most prominent ingredients in my cocktail were 1) vodka 2) horseradish and 3) tabasco sauce. I instantly got a stomach ache.
Then I made a beautiful egg sandwich (bread, eggs, sour cream, goat cheese, ketchup).
Then we played Jenga and I learned that if you are clumsy in real life that also applies to quarantined Jenga. Then my roommate patiently taught me how to play gin rummy. By the time life asks me to play gin rummy again my brain will probably have forgotten but it was fun while it lasted.
We watched Tiger King on Netflix which was (as promised by the people I saw tweeting about it on twitter) stranger than fiction. I re-learned that very strange people reside in Florida and never trust anyone who owns large dangerous exotic animals and thinks that they have a bond with them. Also, this show is a strong case for gun control if I ever saw one. The show is insanity with so many characters who seem made up for one show that is basically a documentary. We were hooked.
Then I slinked off to my room to call my loved ones and bum around in my own little bubble.
This was originally gonna be a makeup recreation but the purple eyeshadow I had in my only colorful palette wasn’t bright enough so I free styled it and this is how it turned out. I am falling back in love with blue eyeshadow now that I’m a grown up and know about blending.
This is the year I do my favorites every month. Or so she says in the first year of the month :)) fingers crossed. I hope that we are all still full of hope for this year.
Pozole: I am a Mexican and I have finally learned how to make Pozole and I feel so alive lol. Now that I’ve completed this rite of passage I am pretty much living off of it this winter.
Cyc spin class: I tried SoulCycle and that shit was too corny for me and also way too much money. Though I did like that they had Drunken Elephant skincare products in the bathroom. I like Cyc cause it’s about the music and they’re not judgy. It’s “beat based” and the instructors are inspirational but not over the top. Also they’re cheaper at $22 a class vs. SoulCycle’s thirty-something.
The dessert: I grew up in the mountains and love the beach. My dad grew up in the dessert and it was so amazing experiencing it on our way into Mexicali. I love the stillness of it, the feeling of being alone (until immigration inevitably shows up). I also really love the color scheme.
Rica juice: tastes like orange juice but better cause it’s a little unhealthy
Cheer on Netflix: It’s insanely impressive and I booked a workout for the next morning after the 1st episode. It’s about the best cheerleaders in the USA (maybe the world?) leading up to the championship and it’s one of those shows that leaves you in awe of what humans can do. It’s also beautifully shot and makes you fall in love with the people it’s about.
This is my favorite body lotion and has been for a while. It smells like Jolly Ranches and absorbs quicker than any other lotion I’ve ever used.
This recipe: I switched out the miso paste for tables spoons of trader joe’s boxed miso soup. And I couldn’t find Tamari sauce at my grocery store so we used thick soba sauce and my grocery failed once again in not having Brussel sprouts so we used broccoli. Long story short it was delicious and amazing and tasted like something made in a restaurant and not by my incompetent hands. The sauce was insanely good and we covered it in lime juice. It was a wow meal
Hanalei Lip Treatment in clear: It feels really luxurious and makes your lips feel lush and protected. This has been my go to during this season of dry and red skin and so far my lips haven’t been chapped. My very favorite thing about it might be the smell which is sweet and comforting.
Global warming: It so real and so apparent here in NYC. We had basically no snow in December and it’s been raining. I’ve worn sundresses in January. It’s so strange and jarring and please let me know what I can do to help.
Duvets: more trouble than they’re worth. I’m a professional cleaner who has changed them and dealt with them a million times and I still hate them. I just wash my comforter and its easier than washing the duvet cover and doing the whole ugly gymnastic routine to get it on the duvet.
Hi internet void!
In December a bunch of the emotions I’d been gleefully and stoically suppressing started to demand I stop ignoring them! LOL was truly the most wonderful time of the year. In the year 2019 I went through a really painful break up the most painful and only one I’ve ever had. I am still processing it and working through the trauma and just intensity of it all. We were living together at the time and then had to go through a horrible fire, friends staying at our house to visit and of course, both of our individual resentments and mental issues clashing and it was pure stress and suffering. December was mourning and joy cause it was the first month I realized that everything ends and that was a pain and a relief for me.
I always look forward to the Christmas season though cause even if I’m truly going through it all the music and people tipping well and decorations cheer me up and keep me engaged and excited for every day of the year. Last December I was going through a red phase and wore 3 red outfits that I really loved. I was feeling really into red as it seemed to express my year and how I felt about it. I was in red hot love and everything felt very intense. Here they are:
- I wore this dress to go see the Rockefeller Tree with all my friends. We put some baileys in our coffee and then danced in some midtown overpriced bar after and demanded they play bachata. We got one song of it. This dress is light and breathable. I love that it comes with a belt because hourglass girls like me love to cinch our waists any time we get the chance.
- 3. This is probably my favorite look. I went to look in the Adika pop up in NYC because I have a pair of biking shorts I love from them. Most of the stuff was ordinary and too trendy for me but I instantly fell in love with this and had to have it as soon as I tried it on. I wore it to my dad’s holiday party and crowned myself in the top 5 best dressed. You can also wear it a bunch of sluttier ways but didn’t want to do that at my dads work party lol.
I can’t tell y’all how happy I am that 2019 is over. It had me all types of fucked up 🙂 Here are my favorite things of my favorite month of last year. Yes, I am late and writing from the first day of the new year and now I’m writing even later and publishing on the 7th day of the new year (#procrastination).
1.The 52 List Series: This year I am gonig to really try to be an organized person who knows whats important to her and priotitzes those things and people. These books are so asthetically pleasing and fun to use and helpful. I have the planner and the 52 list project book. I’m also a very type A person and enjoy planning things and it makes me feel in control. If you’re like this then you’ll love these books so you can pretend to have control over your life lmao.
2. Lip gloss: I’m having a new renaissance of lip gloss. I like how it makes you look fresh and healthy and alive. The way I’ve been sleeping or not sleeping, I need all the help I can get. My favorites are this one and this one.
3. Packing cubes: Every instagram travel influencer raves about these and like everything else they recommend I usually take it as white noice and ignore it. But as someone who has never done a good job packing I thought it would be worth a try. It is really helpful cause it helps you sort your suitcase like it’s drawers. Also it looks way less stressful than a bunch of clothes that were once carefully folded and is not chaos. My mottos is less chaos 2020. I got these ones cause they were cheapest and came in a pretty light blue.
4. These are so pretty that they are making the transition from christmas decoration to winter decoration.
5. Carne asada: both the party and the meat. I went to Mexico for Christmas break and learned so much about my own culture. I’ve missed out on a lot by living so far from the Mexican side of my family. I had never in my life experienced food that was so rich and whipped up like it was nothing. I was emotional the whole trip learning about my grandparents and discovering the stories of their lives that I never knew. I was emotional at the carne asada listening to my dad and his sister cry and sing mariachi, I was emotional trying the smooth guacamole salsa verde, I was emotional struggling to speak Spanish to my relatives that didn’t speak English and I was emotional sipping my cafe on the patio in the sun while dogs ran about. And now one of my 2020 resolutions is to learn how to cook Mexican food (especially tamales, menudo, posole and tacos). My best friend whose boriqua and I are gonna do Sunday dinner every other week and one week will be Mexican food and the next week will be Puerto Rican food and we will learn both of our cultures cuisine together.
- The cycle of being broke so buying a cheap computer and then the computer breaking and then having it break and then buying another cheap computer and now I’m almost at the ammount of money it would take to buy the computer I actually want new (macbook air)
- January and Feburary. What are the bright sides? Shitty freezing slushymonths with a holiday that is only fun if you’re in love and there’s a lot of us who aren’t. And some of us are starving in these new diets smh.
- Milk going bad so damn quickly. It’s a real rough start to my morning when my coffee is ready but my milk is… rotten.
I was thinking of how I can be better to the world in the shower today (while trying step by step to unwind). It’s hard not to constantly stress about the state of the planet and these little things have helped me turn that anxiety into action (no matter how small). Do what you can and don’t beat your self up 🙂
- When you don’t need one ask for no receipt.
- Pack your own lunch in a reusable lunch container.
- Go thrifting! Also, this is so fun because there’s nothing more rewarding than getting a unique piece for way cheaper then you would at a place that makes thousands of the same item.
- Bring your own water bottle from home and refill it when you drink it all instead of buying a disposable plastic water bottle. And if you do forget and need to buy a plastic water bottle refill it and use it a few times before you toss it.
- Wash your hair less. I used to wash my hair every time I got in the shower (every day) and then I read how actually this isn’t good for your hair and strips it of your natural oils that make it shiny and healthy-looking. I now wash my hair once every few showers and go through shampoo and conditioner a lot less then I used to and my hair looks way better than before. Win, win.
- See if you could be a paper towel/napkin free home and use rags and cloth napkins instead.
- Turn off the lights when you leave the room.