This is my jam. I had a job where people called each other family and it turned out to be the most toxic place. So much drama, and people thinking they had people who were “loyal” to each other and of course no one was. I used to talk to 10+ people from there and think they were my friends and I literally only talk to one regularly now that I’m not there every day. My bossed used that phrase “we’re a family here” etc. as a sort of unwritten contract for us to work crazy hard for her all the time for less than we deserve. Here is the New York Times article about it.
March Favorites: late again 💁🏼♀️
Jasmine tea: Not to brag but I got 20 sachets of jasmine tea for 79 cents in Chinatown yesterday
Overhyped snow storms that result in you getting a day off work
Winter green altoids: really yummy and fresh and not too grossly minty, also you get a ton for your money
Reckon Colorstay lipstick: There are two lipsticks that I trust to actually last through the day for someone like me who typically stuffs her face 3 times a day. There’s this one and beauty bakeries liquid lipstick. I love this one cause it goes on like a balm and doesn’t feel dry or uncomfortable. The colors are really lovely and flattering for lots of skin tones and it doesn’t look cakey and flat.
Apple crumb donut from Dunkin’ Donuts
Polar Orange Dry Soda
Gummy mango candy: My local deli has them and they are so delicious… they also all seem to taste different and they do really taste like mango and not artificial.
Black Castor Oil:…All I’m gonna say is I really have seen a difference in my lashes since starting using it. I drench my lashes and lash line in it before bed and sleep in it.
The fact that everytime I put my hair up I get frizzy curls surrounding my head and I can never ever acieve the sleek look. If anyone knows a good product to get really frizzy hair to stay down without looking gluey please tell me!
Working at a soul sucking job with an evil boss
These are the things I was feeling this month. Hope you enjoy and if you’ve tried any of these things let me know how you liked it!
- the Charcoal Latte from Project Cozy: It’s really good, once you get used to the fact that it’s black. It’s another expensive drink. Also am I the only one who thinks Cozy should be spelled Cosy instead?
- OGX Bonding Plex leave in cream: I’m not naturally a red head and I dye my hair all the time so it’s horribly irreparably damaged. Once on a particularly good drugstore mini spree where I brought lots of treasures like ice cream and a portable heater I also got this and it’s the only thing I’ve been putting in my hair this 2018. I keeps it looking ok and less limp and dull than it did before I used it. It also really softens it. I highly recommend it cause it’s doing all sorts of nice things to my poor hair and usually I don’t really notice my hair products doing much.
- Bossa Nova: It’s such gentle and jazzy music. On the 1st of the year I kinda made my best friend and boyfriend breakfast w some 30 cent ramen noodles and eggs and it was a real broke girl breakfast but they like the angels they are didn’t day a thing and they ate it happily and i think the whole thing was saved by the bossa nova pandora radio that was playing in the background making it a kinda classy scene and a real breakfast. It’s also really good for studying to, moisturizing to or taking a bath too.
- Making sets of your keys and giving them to your friends who live close by so if you lose them you’re gonna be ok and still get into your house
- Advil coated tablets: I always get headaches so I always carry this in my bag. I like these pain reliever pills best cause they work pretty fast and they’re sweet so if you have difficulty swallowing you don’t get a horrible taste in your mouth.
- Making up after a fight and that feeling of relief and thank god I still have them in my life
- Glass noodles: I rediscovered these from my childhood when my lovely boyfriend spiced up me Chinese order (sesame chicken and lo mein every time) and it’s so delicious.
- Bubble tea: the most fun drink ever! And it’s also delicious! my favorites are almond with the tapioca bubbles and Thai iced tea.
- Freeman polishing black sugar and charcoal mask: new favorite mask cause, it made my face feel really clean and clear and almost poreless for a day.
- Pictures under the Palms: Brookfield Place shows free movies in the Winter garden. It’s one of the best free events in NYC in my opinion. They provide free popcorn and bean bags to lay on. It’s really beautiful in there too and this is the perfect dinner and a movie date idea cause you just have to pay for dinner. more info
- Ugly Supreme stickers everywhere for no reason
- Waking up late and missing half your day and being severly piseed at your self for resting when you should have been hustling
- Bad tippers: but this is always my least favorite. You notice it especially in January because people are typically more generous in December cause of the holiday spirit.
- the fact that its way cheaper to eat unhealthy
- nail polish: I literally can not keep up with this enough to have my hands looking nice. I refuse to pay for someone to put paint my nails now that I’m broker than ever so I do it myself (really badly) and it always ruins my efforts in trying to look put together smh.
- Jobs paying you minimum wage and expecting you to devote your life to them and be the biggest champion of their company and make them super rich…. what is up with that?!
P.S I’m really sorry this is so late…. from not on I really will post the favorites on the 25th of that month. Not that anyone noticed but I promised myself lol
- DW Home Candles: I always buy my scented candles at Marshall’s cause they are significantly cheaper and larger there than anywhere else. I have found I have only been buying and obsessing over the ones of this brand. The ones I’ve tried and loved are Holiday Spice and Vanilla + Sugarcane. The next one I’m gonna get is the Coconut Milk Honey and I’m pretty excited. Scented candles are really one of my favorite things.
- Turmeric Lattes: always expensive but always delicious. It’s a treat yourself thing. My favorite one comes from Galerie De Cafe in Tribeca.
- Circle scarves
- Dollar Stores: best places to find kinder eggs, tacky Christmas decorations, food containers, key chains, cheap shampoo and lots of stuff you never knew you needed. Lots of great ones in Flatbush where I just moved.
- Procrastinating something a lil and then finally forcing yourself to do it and finding out it was actually simple and painless and then being able to check something off your to do list
- Really, truly surprising people: I never tell anyone in my family when I’m coming to visit, I just show up because I really love the shocked look on their eyes when I walk in and it’s one of the best feelings in the world.
- Real christmas trees: I bought mine for $16 at a market after seeing the amazing movie Coco with my beautiful boyfriend. It’s around 3 feet tall and thriving.
- Coco: My new favorite Pixar movie. As a Mexican it really meant a lot to me, as someone whose lost someone it really meant a lot to me, as someone with eyes it was awesome and the music is so Mexican and fun and beautiful. I cried….and it really touched my heart and made me feel so much love for life and for my culture. I really suggest going with your kids/someone you love.
- The world at Christmas time: I work at a bar which is something I don’t like doing and just like everything else at Christmas it’s amazingly decorated and 150 times better than usual. I worked there the day of the Santarun and so many people came in dressed up as Santa and they put on Christmas music and it was the nicest most tolerable shift I’ve ever had there.
- When pedophiles don’t get to become senator
- Snow that’s good for making snowballs
- Clementines: the superior citrus
- Poinsettias or Flor de Noche Buena in Spanish
- Duolingo: the best free app for learning a language. It’s really simple and rewarding cause you can get a streak of how many days in a row you’ve practiced.
- Colourpop Lipsticks: really inexpensive and better than Kylie’s stuff. Also there are so many colors and textures.
- Restaurants that charge for a coffee refill
- People who play their music out loud on the subway (especially those who do it in the morning)
- When people in a job interview say we’ll let you know either way and then you never hear from them again
- When creepy strangers try to talk to you on your morning commute and you have your earphones in and are just trying to listen to Stevie Wonder’s Christmas Album, thank you very much!